NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Tiger Woods announced Tuesday he will forgo the US Open to heal up for The Open Championship next month.
Woods made the announcement in a tweet.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
“I previously informed the USGA that I will not be competing in the @usopengolf as my body needs more time to get stronger for major championship golf. I do hope and plan to be ready to play in Ireland at @JPProAm and at @TheOpen next month. I’m excited to get back out there soon! ” he wrote.
The US Open is set to take place June 16-19 at The Country Club in Brookline, Massachusetts.
Woods didn’t play in the 2021 US Open after he was injured in a devastating car crash in Los Angeles. He missed the cut in 2020 and finished tied for 21st in 2019.
TIGER WOODS TURNED DOWN ‘MIND-BLOWINGLY ENORMOUS’ OFFER TO PLAY IN LIV GOLF, GREG NORMAN SAYS
He returned to competitive golf this year with the Masters. He finished in 47th but was able to complete and walk the entire course for all four days of the event. He was forced to withdraw from the PGA Championship last month as he couldn’t bear some of the pain with his injuries.
Woods hadn’t won the US Open since 2008.
After competing at the Masters in April, Woods said he would set his sights on The Open Championship. Playing the PGA Championship was a longshot in the first place but he persevered to compete and make the cut before withdrawing.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The Open Championship will tee off July 14. It will be played at St. Andrews in Scotland.