LIV Golf may be poised to poach another big name.
Rickie Fowler, a well-known figure and a former top-five player in the world, will reportedly bounce to the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series, according to Golf Channel.
The 33-year-old has played pro for 13 years and has five wins on the PGA Tour. Fowler’s departure comes after The Post’s Mark Cannizzaro first reported Phil Mickelson will join the controversial league.
Greg Norman, a former No. 1 golfer in the world who started LIV Golf, made a splash last week with the announcement that Dustin Johnson would join the league.
“I’ve been in talks with them for a long time,” Fowler said last week of LIV Golf. “It’s something to definitely look at. At this point, it wasn’t the right move or decision for us, but I’m not saying I’m for sure here or I’m going to go there. I’m going to just kind of leaving my options open and see how things play out. ”
The tour is backed by Public Investment Fund – Saudi Arabia’s wealth fund which finances projects, like LIV Golf, that can boost the Saudi economy.
LIV Golf is expected to directly compete with the PGA Tour by offering more money to players. PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan sternly said players could be permanently banned from the PGA Tour if they decide to join the Norman’s series.
The new golf league will tee-off outside London for its first-ever event from June 9-11.